Friday, March 7, 2008

Borough Market

Borough Market, London

The first time I heard of Borough Market was when I saw it on the food channel in Los Angeles..FoodTv chef Paula Deen went there. She ate a chip butty at a stall there. A chip butty is basically a french fry sandwhich on white bread with English brown sauce (not ketchup u guys) So when I went to Borough Market I went to Maria's Cafe stall and ate one...yummy..It was so traditionally English.
However the market offers so many types of food from many countries and you can sample them too..at the olive stall I sampled some really delish olives and I chatted with this guy who was from Rancho Cucamonga, California who told me to try the mozzarella at the cheese stalls..he bought a bunch to take back home, so I did and the Mozzarella was really good, but noticed that the cheese was not pasteurized..(thats the heating process to kill bacteria) but the cheese was excellent.
And they have real prosciutto, that Italian ham, the real prosciutto crudo (dry cured raw ham) we can't get the real thing in the US, but basturma is ok too..lol. At the Market it was around $80 a pound. Ostrich burgers grilling on the grill smelled really good..fruit stall men were yelling out their wares, the place was busy with tourists and natives alike.
I spent the whole morning there and left with a bag of hand made clotted cream fudge which was heavenly..mmmm...yum..hungry anyone?

No comments: