Saturday, March 8, 2008

Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain


Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain


I went to the Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain the other day. It's in Hyde Park which is a big park in central London. Its a horizontal oval stone fountain that is slightly sloped on the ground and the water flows down both sides...
One side of the stream descends fairly smoothly to the downhill end of the oval with gentle ripples. On the other side the water flows over rougher surfaces. The two sides represent the two sides of Diana's life, the smooth happy times and rough sad times.
The fountains goal was for people to go for quiet meditation. The sign says to feel free to sit on the sides and paddle your feet and hands.
The day that I went, the water was not flowing and the bottom part of the fountain had red water in it. I thought it was kinda gross...it looked like bloody water...I found out later tho, that it was anti-arms trade protestors who put the red dye there.
Since the late Princess was known to campaign against land mines and mutilating devices, the activist said the dramatic move was timed to highlight the Arms Fair that was taking place nearby.
I was a little disappointed in the fountain. I had a pre-conceived idea that it would be bigger and more elaborate, something of a grander scale to celebrate her life. I just feel that it should of had something more. Like what? I don't know for sure really... I know it was built to reflect her life but Lady Diana meant different things to alot people and a fountain isn't multifaceted enough to represent each one of those things.

No comments: